Excellent reading tips by Austin Kleon (via the website of @KimberlyHirsh) that I need to remind myself as I’m starting to get down to the wire on my reading goal for this year:
- Throw your phone in the ocean. (Or, keep it in airplane mode.)
- Carry a book with you at all times.
- Have another book ready before you finish the book you’re reading. (Make a stack of books to re-read or load up your eReader.)
- If you aren’t enjoying a book or learning from it, stop reading it immediately. (Flinging it across the room helps give closure.)
- Schedule 1 hour of non-fiction reading during the day. (Commutes, lunch breaks, and any continued period of idle time work well.)
- Go to bed 1 hour early and read fiction. (It will help you sleep.)
- Keep a reading log and share your favorite books with others. (They will send you even more books to read.)